Thursday, April 28, 2011

31 cents scoops

Many of you see my posts on facebook for the half off deals or freebies.  I find many of them through emails or other super saver people that have websites that feed into facebook or twitter.  No, I don't get all of them, but I know that there is someone out there that appreciates the savings the way that I do when there is something I come across as useful or I would use anyway.

Jeff knows that I always have a coupon or gift certificate/card on hand for "eating out" nights.  We only eat out on bargains.  Who can afford to otherwise?  So, last night he texted and wanted to eat out for dinner.  He asked what coupons or gift certificates I had.  I said that Baskin Robbins had 31 cents ice cream scoops.  Hey, I can eat dessert first if I want to!  He said that had nothing to do with dinner, but we could go to Ruby Tuesdays, which is right next door.  Fine.  I expected a line, but I didn't expect a LINE.

When we first got there, I commented that I should probably stand in line already.  Jeff said there were a lot of little kids, so by the time we finish dinner, the line should be shorter, since they should all be at home in bed on a school night.  Not so.  We came out, and the line was just as long, except now, there were lots of cranky kids instead of kids just waiting to get their ice cream.

This was the first time that we've stood in line for one of BR's promotional events.  They usually do two a year that I know of.  I know of friends who have done it and posted pictures, but I had forgot my phone in the car and decided to leave it at that.

All in all, it was an interesting experience, to say the least.  In front of us was a mother and daughter.  The daughter ended up sitting in line and doing her homework.  She moved very slowly as the line moved up.  The mom, well, let's just say "bling" from the jacket to the purse to the toe nails.  Yes, there was lots of time to observe people.  In front of them, a couple with a very hyped up kid about 3 years old kept running around, breaking the plants on the side, and shrieking in a very annoying voice when they finally decided to contain him.  In the back of us was a couple who I first thought was married by the big bling on her finger, but after listening to their conversation the entire time, I came to the conclusion that they weren't, since they were trying to out impress each other with their job talk and how much they get paid and how they could've scooped ice cream faster.  Definitely in the dating stage.  In the back of them were a bunch of young, Caucasian, loud and irritating adults.  Sorry, military people, but they didn't make you folks look good by their obnoxious behavior and bragging.  Also, want to know what the true test of a MAN is?  One that will kill a 747, B52 bomber, or otherwise known as a humongous roach.  Yes, every single one of them stood around looking at it, including the "chef" who could have taken a job for $20 an hour but his girlfriend told him not to.  I pointed at it, and Jeff went to smack it.  Guess who jumped the fastest and furthest?  No, it wasn't me, it was all those guys standing in the back of us.  I just hope that doesn't happen in a war situation.

Finally at the front of the line, so I read the two signs that are posted on the doors with very explicit instructions on how this promotion works.  So, in addition to being able to get up to 3 kiddie scoops of ice cream, per person who is physically present (yes, it said that), you can purchase one waffle cone, one 2 scoop sundae, and one small splash at discounted prices.  Well, after waiting in line for over 2 hours, yes folks, you read that right, I was getting all three.  Two of my things could go in the freezer, and Jeff was going to get his share as well.  I was going to make my time worth it!  Apparently, the young kids working inside were either tired already of having to serve all those people for over 5 hours, or they were just plain dumb.  They told us that we could only have one thing, because that's what they've been doing for everyone else.  Okay, those were fighting words.  I'm very good at reading comprehension, and the sign says "in addition to" which means I can get all 3.  I point that out and tell them that if that's so, they should have corrected all the signs posted in and out of the store (they had already corrected something else), or it could be said that it was false advertising, and they could be sighted for that.  Not to mention that we saw others walk out with packages that I'm sure they didn't buy at regular price while carrying/eating their 3 scoops in a waffle bowl.  Yes, I was going to be the big B if necessary, because it was 10:30pm and over two hours later of standing in line and listening to a bunch of i*****.  If I had to, I would take a picture of the sign and call the number on it.  Thankfully, and very wise of worker who said that, she called the person in charge who must have corrected their thinking really quickly.

Anyway, over two hours later, this is what I walked out with.  Jeff had his own.

No comments: