Monday, June 8, 2009

What Really Matters

Insights from my brother, Leonard:

Every once in a while I am reminded that little things can make a huge impact. One could look at the big picture (i.e. global/national economy and/or politics,) frown at what they see and I couldn't blame them. Who knows what tomorrow holds for any of us? On the other hand, as I found out tonight, it is possible to push past the pressing issues that affect everyone with the help of an innocent child.

With my sister, Malia, in town from Hilo, we had a small gathering just for the heck of it. The usual good food and good company were present as is the norm for these events. On one side of the house, a movie was showing on a projector screen while the other side featured a Nintendo Wii. I opted for the Wii and had a great time challenging my nephews to various games. I can definitely burn a few (or more than a few) hours playing Wii Sports!

One of my nephews, Kavin, ended up sitting next to me as we played a game. Kavin is a rather intelligent (almost) 4 year old who can really hold a conversation when he gets going. I may not understand everything he's saying but as with many boys his age, he often catches me off guard with the things that he blurts out.

As he sat next to me, I heard him say something. I couldn't quite hear him due to the volume level of the game in progress so I asked him to repeat himself. He looked at me and again said something that was lost in transit. I told him to speak up a little and moved my ear closer to his mouth to ensure proper reception. The third time was the charm...I heard every word as clearly as if we were in a sound-proof room and they hit me like the proverbial ton of bricks:

"Kawika is my Daddy's name."

I didn't know what to say at first. When I finally regained my composure, I smiled at Kavin and said,

"Yes, it is! Do you miss him?"

Kavin nodded excitedly and all I could say at that point was,

"Me, too."

Sometimes the world and its problems can seem overwhelming. I often forget that by looking at the whole thing at once I can easily miss the small bits that can be the most important (e.g. the love of family and friends.) At his tender young age, it's good to know that my nephew can keep me grounded and teach me a valuable lesson on what really matters in life.

*NOTE: For those who may not be familiar with my brother-in-law, Kawika, please read my previous note: http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=36523057634

No comments: