Monday, May 18, 2009

Has this world lost all common sense?

In the past few days, no, make that weeks, I have wondered if I am just "different" in my thinking than the rest of the world.

1. Call for a dentist appointment. The person on the phone gives me a hard time about scheduling two appointments in a row at the end of the day, so Jeff can go too. Gee, since when does a patient need to beg to make an appointment? And I even told her I didn't care if it was three months from now! Just make the appointments.

2. The kids open the cereal bag to eat breakfast and take the milk out of the fridge. The bag is left open on the counter and the milk too. The reason: the milk was spoiled (well gee, get a clue why the milk spoils when you leave it OUT!) and it wasn't "me" that left the bag open (it was the ghost). The irony in all this: they left the cereal container open the other week and it was filled with ants and bugs, so they couldn't eat it! Ya think they would learn.

3. Same day. I cook lunch and dinner. They're the only ones eating from the container on the counter. There's noodles all over the counter after one kid takes lunch. It stays there even though it's fairly obvious. I come home and cook dinner even though Jeff & I already ate at a funeral. They eat dinner and put the leftovers in the fridge (not sure what was wrong with our plastic storage containers, but the spaghetti went into three different ziploc bags). After laying down with a whopper of a headache, I get up at 1am to start my food for the picnic we're going to. I turn the light on in the kitchen and am greeted by the most disgusting sight...dirty dishes in the sink, on the counter, and stove, not covered or rinsed with food spilled. Those of you who live or have lived with me, and those of you that don't for that matter, know that I absolutely can NOT stand roaches and bugs. But especially those super humongous, 747, ugly flying ones! And there were FOUR of them feasting on the mess that was left. I really hope that whatever the kids had to do that was so important that it took up all their time, so they couldn't even clean up their mess, was worth it. Common sense and courtesy evaded them. And the reason: "It wasn't my turn to clean the kitchen." And my answer: "Well, you ate didn't you? Do you think we have maid service?"

4. You know those reusable bags that the stores all sell now? Have you tried putting in SIX 2 liter bottles of soda into one bag and carrying it out of the store? Well, apparently there is a certain cashier and courtesy clerk at the Pali Safeway that thinks that it's okay. And all so they don't have to credit you the measly THREE CENTS bag credit! They can barely lift the bag into the wagon, but yet, they think the customer can do it. They offer carry out service, but what's the use of carry out service if you can't carry it yourself when you get home? And same cashier puts two trays of meat into one bag and nothing else. I think they should have a class on how to bag a customer's purchases properly! I speak from experience in working at Longs for over 7 years. Bag it properly and the customer will always be happy.

My solution to the bag problem: I am taking my own plastic bags, the ones they give you anyway, so they can only put 2 bottles in each bag, because they're so weak they'll break if you put 6 in it, get the 3 cents credit per bag, go out to my car and re-bag them in my reusable bags and leave the plastic ones in the wagon. I don't like plastic anyway. So if she thought she was saving Safeway money, she'll now be losing it.

What is happening to this world?

No comments: